Every school site should have a Social Justice Rep as part of the union team that includes the Staff Rep, Health & Safety Rep, and Pro-D Rep. Because the BCTF is a social justice union, there are multiple opportunities for the Social Justice Rep to engage members in various events, activities and projects.
The Social Justice Rep:
- shares information from the STA and BCTF about special dates, campaigns, workshops, and grant opportunities;
- can co-ordinate with the Pro-d Rep to suggest workshops on Social Justice topics such as anti-racism, environmental justice, disability justice, and LGBTQ2S+ issues;
- may choose to form a social justice or anti-oppression committee with staff;
- may sponsor a club for students;
- may host a book club to read books with social justice themes, or
- may co-ordinate special events at the school.
As a Social Justice Rep, you can decide your level of involvement, whether it is dipping your toe in the water, or diving right in. To sign up to be Social Justice Rep for your school, talk to your Staff Rep or contact the STA office for more information.Leave a reply