Selected Extracts from Racial Equity Environment Assessment (pages 12 – 14)
Summary of Findings from Listening Circles
· Staff are student-focused and committed to equity and justice
· Staff want to know how to communicate [ about racial equity and social justice]
· The celebration of Indigenous cultures exists but is largely limited.
· The treatment and history of Indigenous peoples are a reason for concern
· BIPOC families viewed increased representation as critical to cultural instruction of White students
· Lack of safe space to discuss the experiences of racism and microaggressions among BIPOC educators, staff and students.
· Differed perspectives on the available resources for teachers between leadership and staff
· Training efforts are not happening at the system level
Recommendations for Workforce Development and Theory of Change
· Adopt anti-racist, culturally responsive and inclusive teaching
· Strengthen and expand supports for staff and teachers of BIPOC to thrive as members of Surrey Schools Family
· Offer culturally responsive professional development for teachers that is compensated, mandated and co-created and professional development on how to partner with families to support student learningLeave a reply