We have been hearing from members that the recent heatwave is having a detrimental impact on learning and working conditions. Unfortunately, there are no WorkSafeBC regulations around temperature. However, there are some things you can do.
- Tell your principal your room is too hot
- Ask your principal to let Facilities know
- Ask your principal to bring Ice into the school and keep it in the freezer for staff to access
- Stay hydrated – drink plenty of water, use the ice in your bottle or glass
- Do not stay in your classroom during lunch or breaks, try to get some fresh air, in the shade.
- Ask at the Site Based Health & Safety meeting if your school can access or purchase fans for classrooms,
- bearing in mind that fans may be a hazard in some of the primary grades.