Monday Memo – May 23, 2017

MEMO TO: Staff Reps
COPIES TO: STA Executive Committee
FROM: Gioia Breda, President
Date: May 23, 2017


Round Two opened today – check for postings!
Attention all LST, IST and Associate Professionals:
We have been meeting with non-enrolling teachers and associate professionals as we (STA) try to prepare for/and or to anticipate challenges arising from the implementation. A repeated concern for next year is around space, including but not limited to:

· Inadequate size of space (book rooms, storage closets, etc)
· Sharing the space on the SAME DAY as others while needing to maintain the privacy of confidential information
· Not having a dedicated space at all

While we have shared our general concerns with the District and advocated that private space be allocated for those dealing with confidential information, it is much more helpful when we can deal with specific situations. If you haven’t already, please talk with your school administrators about what space they envision you working next year. It is important to rely on confirmed information from your admin and not suspicions (ex: you saw a bookroom being measured during the space audit). After speaking with your admin, if you have concerns about being able to work out of that space, the first step is to articulate those concerns to admin (perhaps once the concern is raised they can help trouble shoot appropriate alternatives, and at the very least it cannot be said that the concern was not raised). If your concern remains, the second step is to email Gioia ASAP at Please include the following:

· Your name/title
· Your school site
· The concern/s -including details:
o Size (what are the dimensions of the space)
o Shared space (who/how many/privacy issues/scheduling issues)
· A summary of the conversation you had with your admin

Results of May 17 Annual General Meeting
Thanks to all who came out to our AGM last Wednesday. A new Executive Committee, table officers and Resolutions Committee were elected, and it is thrilling to see how many passionate teachers are interested in leadership roles in our local. We also passed bylaw changes that include the creation of a new Professional Development Officer released position, and a new member at large role on executive designated for an aboriginal teacher.

Elected were:
President- Gioia Breda
1st Vice President – Matt Westphal
2nd Vice President – Julia MacRae
Grievance Officers – Mark Keelan (along with Joanna Cerazy and Kristine Olsen (Health & Safety), who continue with their 2nd years of 2-year terms elected last year)
*Professional Support Services Officer – Anne McNamee
Secretary-Treasurer – Pauline Veto
Local Reps to the BCTF – Kevin Amboe, Violette Baillargeon, Laura Barker, Jatinder Bir, Lizanne Foster, Annie Ohana
TTOC rep Andy Liebermann
Members at Large- June James, Helen Kelsey, Kelli O’Malley,
Professional Development Officer – to be elected at a special AGM in June

An enormous thank you to our outgoing Executive Committee members (Sue Heuman, Karen Moon, Andy Nesdoly, Devinder Kaila, Inder Mattoo, Erin Coleman, Gavin Hainsworth and Nicole Jarvis) for all their work over the year/s!

*As part of the By-Law amendments passed at the AGM, the role of Professional Issues Officer has been redefined, and its name changed to Professional Support Services Officer.

Note: a watch was found at the Bombay Hall after the AGM so if you have lost what appears to be a women’s style watch, call reception at the STA to describe/claim it.
(Also, a Fitbit was found at Convention — we believe at the Kwantlen Park site. Contact the STA to describe/claim)

May 29 – Non-Instructional Day
Next Monday is our last non-instructional day of the year. For many elementary schools, this day will be the admin-directed non-instructional day. The Ministry of Education has set the theme of the 6th non-instructional day this year (the admin-directed NID) as Curriculum Implementation. If May 29 is the admin-directed NID at your school, teachers are required to attend, and at least part of the day should be focused on curriculum implementation activities. The STA will not be organizing any professional development events on May 29th. A list of “outside the box” suggestions for professional development is attached.

Can Staff meetings be scheduled on Pro-D days?
If Monday, May 29th is a teacher-directed Pro-d day at your school and you have a Staff Meeting scheduled for that day, the meeting cannot happen during instructional hours, because a staff meeting is admin-directed, not teacher-directed. Pro-D funds cannot be used for any portion of the day if the staff meeting is scheduled during the school day. Furthermore, Teachers are not required to be at their school site on teacher-directed PD days; principals should not expect teachers to return to the school site in order to attend a staff meeting at the end of the day. For this reason, some Principals choose to change the date of their monthly meeting, which is reasonable.

Notice of Special General Meeting: 4:00 pm on June 14th at Eaglequest Golf Centre
We will be holding a Special General Meeting to conduct elections for our two new Executive Committee positions at a Special General Meeting to be held before the STARA meeting on June 14th:

Professional Development Officer:
–This is a full-time released position, with a term of one year.
–Responsibilities will include professional development, the STA Convention, job shares, representing members in investigations, and other tasks assigned by the President or Executive Committee.

Member at Large: This position will have the same rights and responsibilities as the other Member at Large positions, but it is designated for a member who self-identifies as an Aboriginal person. Candidates will confirm that they meet this criterion at the time of nomination.

Candidates for Professional Development Officer will be able to make a speech of up to 2 minutes at the meeting. Candidates for Member at Large will be able to make a speech of up to 1 minute at the meeting.

If you would like more information about these positions, please contact our President, Gioia Breda, at

**Candidates interested in running for either of these positions must submit their candidate statements to by 4:00 pm on Monday, May 29, 2017 in order to have it included in the package to be sent out to schools.

Guilford Park Hosts the Second Annual Surrey Pride Prom!
This Years’ Theme is “Out of This World!”
When: June 1st from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm at Guildford Park Secondary

Important Information:
*Students pay for tickets at the door
*Tickets are $2 (though no one turned away for lack of funds)
*For grades 8-12 –> all LGBTQ and allied youth
*Surrey School ID is required
*Must have signed up for a ‘ticket’ prior to the dance
*Admin need to sign off on those attending
*Amazing door prizes include:
Queer Film Festival Tickets, Tegan and Sara Merch, Hayley Kiyoko Merch, Ed Sheeran Merch, Ivan Coyote books, pride swag (pins, flags, posters), LGBTQ YA books
*If you have a large group of students we have some transportation support so get in touch
*We need copies of your ticket stubs no later than MAY 31st

Please find attached promo posters and a ticket document (including instructions) to assist in your school’s participation. Your admin has likely also received this information as well, so make sure only one adult per site is organizing tickets.

Along with all the sweet door prizes for students we will also have a packet of info, posters, resources and ideas for each school’s GSA. We look forward to seeing everyone on June 1st. To Follow us @surreyprideprom2017 on instagram #surreyprideprom2017

Guildford Park’s Fabulous GSA!!!

Cross border conference planning meeting
Surrey teachers involved in our International Solidarity Committee are starting to plan a social justice conference to be held in Surrey next Feb 24th for teachers from BC, Washington and Oregon. If you are interested in helping plan it, you are invited to attend our dinner meeting June 8th, 4-7 pm. Please RSVP ASAP to so we can plan the catering.

Potential new ad hoc committee
The Anti-Poverty Committee is hosting a meeting for all Surrey teachers interested in founding a new ad hoc committee for Teachers Teaching Refugee Students.
If interested, come and join us at the STA office on Wednesday June 7th from 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm to discuss some potential goals/agenda for the committee (questions, teacher networking, resources, etc.). We will also be serving a catered dinner! Please email to let us know you are coming so we can plan the catering.

New Teachers Conference and Union Induction Ceremony for TTOCs on Thursday June 22. More information to come next week.

Joke of The Week
Teacher to their student: You missed school yesterday, Didn’t you?
Student: Honestly, I didn’t at all.

This week’s joke was submitted by Satwant Rai. If you would like to participate in joke of the week, please submit a short, clean, (but not necessarily education-related) joke to Gioia Breda at . If your joke is drawn for publication, your name will then be entered into a draw for a gift card at the end of the month. *Thanks for the jokes! Please keep them coming!

Calendar of Events:
Reminder to all teachers – All STA meetings are open to members who are interested in attending. If you are thinking of getting involved, why not come and check out what is going on in our committees?

May 24 – Labour Affairs Committee meeting
May 25 – Local Reps meeting
May 26 – Aboriginal Education Committee meeting
May 26 to 27 – BCTF Rep Assembly
May 29 – Status of Women Grade 7 Girls Conference
May 30 – Executive Committee meeting
May 31 – International Solidarity Committee meeting
June 5 – Bargaining Committee meeting
June 6 – Executive Committee meeting (including Committee Chairs)
June 9 – STA Retirement Dinner & Dance
June 13 – Executive Committee meeting
June 14 – STARA meeting
June 19 – International Solidarity Committee meeting
June 22 – New Teachers Conference and Union Induction Ceremony for TTOCs
June 27 – Executive Committee meeting

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017. Filed in Category: Monday Memos

Go Back To -> Monday Memos